Core Knowledge Academy Guide for Prospective Parents
What is the Core Knowledge Academy?
Knowledge Academy is a K-5 program of choice offered by Millard. Students are
challenged through a in-depth and swiftly-paced curriculum which develops
higher-level thinking skills. The
teacher-directed environment establishes high expectations through
whole-group learning, and fosters analytical thinking. The Millard Core Knowledge Academy provides
cultural literacy through a sequential and challenging curriculum rooted in
the E.D. Hirsch Core Knowledge Sequence and philosophy. Our program develops rich reading and
writing skills through the use of Spalding, Phonics, and Shurley
Grammar. The Core Knowledge Academy at
Cather is recognized as a Core Knowledge Program School of Distinction.
What is the philosophy of the Core Knowledge Academy?
· Rooted in the E.D. Hirsch sequence and philosophy
· Initiated by parents driven by a vision of “back to basics”
program with a teacher-directed environment
· NOT a remedial program, nor a gifted program
· Rigorous, challenging, swift-paced curriculum
· Parental support is essential
Why should my family choose Core?
· Your child will be enthusiastic about learning as our rigorous curriculum unfolds.
· The Core Knowledge curriculum covers advanced topics that are typically not covered in a traditional public school setting.
· This mini-magnet program contains components that will enrich and strengthen your
child’s academic and cultural growth.
Is Core a good fit for my
The Core Knowledge Academy is not a remedial program, nor is it a gifted program. It is simply a choice for parents to make regarding program. It is simply a choice for parents to make regarding their child's education. Does it fit all children? No. As with any program, unless the parent, teacher and child desire to work at success, there will be only mediocre or minor progress. The strength of this program is found in this three-fold (parent, teacher, and child) cooperative effort. All understand that to learn, one must practice. Parents desire choice in education; the Millard Core Academy offers one such choice.
A student entering the Core Knowledge Program is eager and ready to learn, self-reliant, curious. He/she can recall facts, demonstrates self-control over emotions and
actions, communicate thoughts and feelings
verbally, accept and respond appropriately to all
directions, show respect to adults, and learn with the whole group.
What does a Core Knowledge
classroom look like?
· Classroom instruction is directed by the teacher
· Self-contained classrooms
· Individual desks in rows, facing the teacher
· Students are expected to follow school and
is assigned regularly
How can I visit a Core Knowledge classroom?
Contact our school at
402-715-1315 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a tour!